This company has specialized in designing, developing and manufacturing whole house filtration systems for more than 20 years. We worked with them on one of their leading products, which removes 97% of chlorine, heavy metals, pesticides and other chemicals from water. The filtration happens at a single point when water enters the house so all water sources are “soft” and free of contaminants.
- Measure flow through two independent filters to predict replacement timeline
- Notify the end consumer about filter status via mobile app
- Design a long-lasting battery powered solution
- Minimize cost to ensure commercial viability
A dedicated project manager and engineering team worked in close collaboration with the customer from concept to manufacturing.
We first presented concepts to the customer to ensure alignment on vision. During this phase we established we would need to combine data from two independent filters to accurately measure gallons remaining before replacement. We also established that we would need to monitor a combination of time and flow for the best results.
After ensuring alignment on this vision, we developed a detailed product specification with careful attention to manufacturing implications. At Trumeter, we recognize that every design decision must be planned with manufacturing in mind in order to effectively project and manage costs.
Our engineering team developed the first prototype with a custom algorithm and Bluetooth integrated mobile app leveraging our software development expertise. We also leveraged our design expertise in low-power electronics for long-lasting battery life and our industrial design expertise for a custom display.
At Trumeter, we are big on verification and validation, and these designs went through a comprehensive Design for Manufacturability (DFM) review to ensure we could manufacture them at the desired cost. Throughout the final manufacturing process, we worked closely with the customer to make sure they hit their market entry date on budget and with sufficient inventory.
Everyone wins with custom product development!
- End consumers are notified about filter replacement via app (since the system is typically outside the home)
- The customer is selling more replacement filters, increasing recurring revenue
- The customer was able to differentiate their products from competitors with a new feature